Wednesday, August 22, 2007

What's on my mind?


The label "intensive cohort" is definetely being squeezed to its limits this week. As students pursuing a Master in Architecture we are being challenged both intellectually and physically. More by choice than by someone forcing us to do it. I mean, we all have choices and could pursue the challenges we are presented rather comfortably. Instead, we are choosing to be competitive in some sort of way with one another and with the challenge presented. I relate my experience with the question: What type of Architect do we want to be and what type of Architecture do we want to create? What could we do as professionals to further develop our careers and to keep pushing and advancing the field of Architecture. Architecture is so much more than shelter or a mere building to be occupied. Without us, a building will be lifeless. No animation.

I don't see creating typical structures or designs that mimic what's existing in order to blend as been the norm. Somehow our structures reflect where we are heading, whether that's right or wrong. Who is to say what is right or wrong, they both exist like good and evil, but how do we judge or admit what's right.

Previous readings on Duncan and Bickford have made me think deeper about the importance of our societies, economies and politics as an important role on what we create. I never saw the vulnebarility of the word "place" previous to reading "The narrative form of Place and Place relationships" by Herb Childress. It made me think about other things I did not see, like the word "Celebrate". This word on my project take two different meanings: Celebration as a personal emotion at the point of arrival as well as to celebrate the existing Architecture. Readings such as the narrative of form again, have made me identify or place this in the context of a City.

Although a bit exhausted, I look forward to my next challenge and more enlightment of so many things we are learning. Meeting everyone has been a great experience and a return to what a humble experience it is to feel that strangers of a few months ago are all helping and looking out for one another.

2 comments:

Herb Childress said...

The shift from stranger to colleague to friend is a great blessing, and one we should "celebrate" indeed. I'm looking forward to working with you on your research as you work to provide us all with spaces of great power and joy.

David Streebin said...

Great comments Eddie,

Herb is right, we were all blessed. I was amazed how 15 stangers and a half a dozen professors could come together, spend 8 days together being "intense" in the intensive and then walk away with new friendships, looking forward to January. What a group!