Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Where am I?

So I decided to give my post a bit of an overhaul and post the thesis I wrote for the Fall semester (previous post). Aside from work and the leadership course, I am about to finish reading a book called "Changes in Design" by NBBJ. I am also half way done with an oldie that I am very interested in, but always put down because things come up, that book is "The aberrant Architecture of Diller + Scofidio".

Both of these books have given me many things to reflect on and for me to try to organize thoughts in regards to future practice. I have visited a few Architectural school sites where my interest is comparing what's been taught at some institutes vs. what's been theorized in the World.

I need to keep researching, but there seems to be a gap where the Architectural gestures proposed by students is not necessarily in tune with what the real intent is. There is a lot of Architecture proposed with a porous language or skin that looks like a structuralism proposed by Calatrava. Most of the studies I have seen online appear to blend better in the sterile environment of the digital world, like Greg Lynn's work, beautiful and exciting, however it does not appear to be mature.

I use the word mature because I start to wonder if we all start to pursue this sort of language what that will do when trying to design for an institution that is to resemble power, solidity. What if the client was the "Prudential" trust fund or "John Hancock" mutual funds, there are portfolios at stake, so how could these new forms assure the consumer their investment is safer than ever?

It's sort of like limbo, not believable enough and not convinceable enough. I can't help to wonder that if their time is spend only on theorizing about these forms, what happens when they try to get a job upon graduation. I think the Architect could push design if he/she posses knowledge in multiple disciplines (structure, materials, methods, M.E.P., sustainability). Then there is Phylosophy, Antropology and Sociology. Regardless, I appreciate the effort to pursue that sort of language and not assume we should be copy cats.

http://www.aaschool.ac.uk/

http://www.gsd.harvard.edu/

http://www.arch.columbia.edu/

No comments: